There has been for many years, and still are a vast selection of Türsab Registered Tour Companies in Didim, all mostly offering similar if not the same types of 2, 3, 4 and 5 day tours and day trips, one of which is Didim Tours, also known as Avesta Travel, who are well established and have been operating since 2003 and situated close to Altınkum seafront. Generally, they are all around the same price range with door-to-door pick up and return. Most of them offer return private airport transfers and shuttle bus to and from the 3 nearest airports, Bodrum, Izmir and Dalaman. You may even find some that offer car rentals too, though you’ll notice there are numerous Car Rental Firms scattered around Didim all with a similar price range.
Local Day Trips you can take with any one of the Tour Companies, which are mostly situated in or around the Altınkum beach area and visit the following places;
1. Apollo Temple – situated in the Hisar district of Didim, the 2,300 year old Apollo Temple’s columns have just been restored and is considered as one of the best preserved Temples of antiquity.
2. Miletus – was an ancient Greek city on the western coast of Anatolia, near the mouth of the Maeander River in ancient Caria. It’s ruins are located near the modern village of Balat in Aydın Province, Turkey. There is a lot to see here since it covers a vast area so you’ll need to spend at least 3 hours to see and enjoy it’s beauty.
3. Priene Temple of Athena – was an ancient Greek city of Iona located at the base of an escarpment of Mycale, about 6 kilometers north of what was then the course of the Maeander River, now called ‘Büyük Menderes’ or Big Maeander.
4. Şirince (wine) Village, near Kuşadası, is a charming place tourist often make a beeline for since it’s well known for it’s fruit wine produce amongst other hand made arts and crafts. Best times to visit here is April, May, June, September & October as July & August can be too hot walking around in 40oC + heat!
5. Ephesus (Izmir) is an ancient city in Turkey’s Central Aegean region, near Selçuk. It is said to be the most important Greek city in Ionian Asia Minor.
6. Virgin Mary House – Is a Catholic Shrine located on Mt. Koressos in the vicinity of Ephesus, near Selçuk.
7. Dalyan – Is a bit further afar though well worth the trip. You’ll enjoy Caunos first, then a Boat trip with magnificent views, a mud bath and see the turtles.
8. Pamukkale – Is also a bir further afar and well worth the trip. It is known for it’s mineral-rich
thermal waters flowing down white travertine terraces on a nearby hillside and much more besides.
Pamukkale means ‘Cotton Castle’ in Turkish and is a natural site in Denizli Province, south-western Turkey. The area is famous for a carbonate mineral left by the flowing of Thermal Spring Water. Known as Pamukkale or ancient Hierapolis (Holy City), this area has been drawing visitors to its thermal springs since the time of Classical antiquity.
9. Adaland Aqua & Dolphin Park in Kuşadsı is another favourite for families of water lovers and a great day out.
10. Horse Safari – Enjoy seeing the beautiful Turkish countryside on horse back, spend time riding along the landscaped trails or have a lesson.
11. Jeep Safari – This trip is a must for those adventurous at heart and who wish to enjoy stunning views and scenery off the beaten track, while having fun in an open top jeep.
12. Mavişehir Night Market – Browse around the many stalls where you can pick up many bargains, if you dare to haggle as you should. Afterwards, you can take a walk along the sea front and once you smell the delicious food coming from the row of restaurants you’ll want to dine with a fresh fish dinner while watching the beautiful sunset. Mavişehir is well know for enjoying a Romantic dinner by the sea while watching the sunset.
13. Scuba Diving – If you’d like to explore the underworld of the sea, be sure to book your dive in the incredible crystal clear waters of the Aegean Sea.
14. Bafa Lake Nature Park – I can highly recommend a visit here, not only for the stunning views of the Lake itself but for it’s history. Bafa Lake is one of the most historical lakes around the world. You can see prehistoric pictures on rocks, visit ancient ruins, tombs, monasteries and so much more. Kapıkırı village has a population of 320 people. The villagers mostly make their living from animal husbandry, fishing, olives and bee keeping, though some families make a living from tourism. From a tourists point of view, the region is located in the most important culture and nature-rich natural park. Lake Bafa is surrounded by ancient sites of great importance.
15. Private Boat Rental for the day to enjoy the local areas off the coast of Altınkum and visit the bays for swimming, just for you and your friends or family, which usually includes lunch though, you’ll just pay for extra snacks and drinks.
16. Fishing Trip -Any lovers of fishing will be pleased to hear they can book a boat fishing trip if they wish for local fishing and again lunch is included in the price, but further snacks and drinks are extra.
17. Boat Charters are also available for any occasion and I believe there are quite a few to choose from. This is definitely a safer way to holiday in these uncertain times as you and your friends or family will be able to stay in a safe environment away from other holiday makers. You’ll also be able to sunbathe and swim from the boat in the crystal clear Aegean Sea.
18. Kuşadası Market Trip - is where you can pick up some fantastic bargains and have a local lunch with a delightful sea view.
19. Didim’s new project ‘Open Air Theatre’ (or ‘Amphitheatre’ as it is being announced, though as it is only a semi-circle like a Roman Theatre, I would call it an ‘open-air theatre’) is still being built (close to Luna Park fun Fair near to 3rd beach) as I write this information and is due to complete in April, 2022 ready for it’s first open air concert.
I guess you’ll agree, there’s plenty to keep you occupied for at least 3 weeks! But why wait until you arrive in Didim to book your tours, book easily from here in one place, just go to this link https://bit.ly/AvestaTours and make your reservation bookings and even book your return airport transfers too! https://bit.ly/DidimTours Then you can sit back and relax knowing everything is prepared, organised and ready for you to have a wonderful time!
* By Aleyna